I left Nicaragua just few days ago and there were quite many interesting things I got to know about this country. I have to be honest.. not all of these are facts 🙂 some of it is just what locals told me and I believed them or what I noticed:
- There are no street names in Nicaragua – it’s super weird and really confusing!
- UBER is banned in Nicaragua
- Lake Nicaragua is the largest lake in Central America – it really is massive!
- The only freshwater sharks known in the world can be found in Lake Nicaragua – I was happy I didn’t meet any!
- Nicaragua has one of the youngest populations in the world. The median age for the country is approx 21 years old.
- Rum in Nicaragua is super cheap – half a litre of Flor de Caña for only 4-5 dollars
- Drones are banned in Nicaragua – sorry travel video/photographers! They will actually take your drone away and storage it if you want to enter to the country with it.
- Nicaragua made big investment into windmills in Ometepe island but these were installed the wrong way so you can never see those windmills working because wind comes from another direction – not sure if it’s a fact but that’s what the locals told me and I saw those windmills with my own eyes.. their wings were not moving.
- Sunday Funday is the biggest pool party held in Central America and it happens EVERY Sunday in San Juan Del Sur.
All in all Nicaragua is a wonderful country and I encourage everyone to travel there! It’s super cheap and there’re lots of cool places to visit not to mention that they have pretty nice surf spots!